"Sorry about the noise"

"Sorry about the noise"
"Sorry about the noise"

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Free Write

I thought about posting a short story or poem, but most of my work is erotic in nature. One of my favorite short stories is about how Prince seduces some poor fan (the story is called the Purple Man and it is very PG). I would love to post my favorite erotic poem, aptly titled Erotic City, but the last copy was on my old computer which now resides in computer heaven (or hell...there's really no way of knowing). 


So instead of sharing erotic masterpieces, I've decided to share two great movies everyone should see.


Crimes and Misdemeanors


Woody Allen's best movie and perhaps the best movie I've ever seen, Crimes and Misdemeanors masterfully blends two disparate story lines. One narrative focuses on ophthalmologist Judah Rosenthal, who seeks a violent way out of an affair and the other narrative follows disgruntled biographer Clifford Stern, whose attempt to make a meaningful documentary is squandered by his egocentric boss. In less experienced hands, a movie attempting to balance existential drama with quippy comedy would surely collapse under its own ambition and pretension. However, in the hands of Woody Allen, the result is nothing short of spectacular. 

The Descendants 


Alexander Payne first won me over with his 2004 film Sideways. After watching the Descendants, I can confidently say that if Alexander Payne made a movie about dirt, I would be there for the midnight release (but why would a movie about dirt have a midnight release? It's not like there's a built audience for dirt). The Descendants is about Matt King, a lawyer living in Honolulu, who finds out that his comatose wife is going to die. With his two daughters, Matt prepares to tour the islands and tell the families of his wife's fate. Then his oldest daughter Alex reveals to him that his wife had been having an affair. You will laugh and damn it, you will cry over what should have been the best picture of 2012 (the Artist was very good but come on, you can't beat Clooney). 

If you would like any other movie suggestions...feel free to ask. I got lots of suggestions. 

FREE WRITE OVER.

4 comments:

  1. Doesn't The Descendants have Matt Lillard in it? God, I've loved that man since Scream. Also -- your erotic story involving Prince seems similar to Darling NIkki -- which it took me far longer to understand that song than I am proud to admit. That picture of Prince though...owww! ;) and I never say that about Prince. Like ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Mathew Lillard...he hasn't aged super well. And Prince is the coolest human ever.

      Delete
  2. I rarely watch movies, but I did love Sideways so I will check out the Descendants. I do love Woody Allen movies, but missed this one. I will watch both of them while folding clothes. About your other genre of writing, do you intend to try to get it published?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those movies are really amazing. In fact, I watched both today. About my writing, my experience at UCF has been that goofy erotic poetry does not amuse. Most of my peers seemed put-off by it and my professors wished I would take writing "more seriously." Some of my friends enjoy the erotic adventures of Prince, but otherwise, doesn't seem to be a huge market for it. I would like to publish Erotic City though.

      Delete