"Sorry about the noise"

"Sorry about the noise"
"Sorry about the noise"

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

tech post: part 1 (and the mysterious case of the Mondays)

Check out this video Building Airplanes  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg  
How does this relate to integrating technology into your classroom?

I have the sneaking suspicion that this airplane video is suppose to be some kind of a metaphor. Technology in the classroom is a great resource and can allow students to do things that were not thought to be possible...like building an airplane in the air!  Computer resources, smart-boards and even social media sites can turn a boring classroom into an exciting one. Not only does technology make classrooms more exciting, but the technological resources actually strengthens the material.

Are you a native, visitor, or resident?  How do you live your tech life?

Out of the 27 tech things, I was only familiar with 12 of them. So I guess I would consider myself a visitor. While I can easily navigate through most tech-sites, I don’t really pursue them. I use Facebook, gmail, texting and Google docs regularly. I’m sure all the other tech things are great, but if I haven’t used them at this point I don’t see myself doing so any time soon. My goal throughout the day is to use technology when I have to, but not abuse it. If I spend more than an hour on Facebook during the day, I force myself to go outside or watch a movie. Technology can be addicting, so it is important to use it in moderation, or at least for the great good.

Tech Tools to Enhance Student Learning: Visit each site. These are all tools that I have actually used with my students. Think about how you might use each one to reach out to students, parents, or the community.  Write about your favorite three you checked out and how you might use them.  

Of all the wonderful resources available to use, my three favorite are Skype, schooltube and ustream. The running theme between my three favorite is the use of streaming video, either live or recorded. With Skype, the classroom can be anywhere, including the students’ own home. This is especially great if a student misses an extended period of time (illness, death in the family...etc.). While at home, the student could stream live footage of classroom lectures or could have a one on one session with the teacher. Ustream works about the same way. Create lesson plans from home that students can watch anywhere. The fact that Ustream can be linked with Facebook and twitter make it a perfect tool for students to use. Finally, I really like schooltube because it can be used for more than education. My high school hosts annual talent shows and because of schooltube, footage from this years performance can be viewed by all. Schooltube could be used to showcase sports events or academic competitions as well. The possibilities are truly endless.

My Favorite Sites for Your Professional Development :  How do you keep learning about teaching after you leave school?  What is your insight about virtual professional learning? What do you notice about virtual professional development?

The end of college does not signify the end of knowledge. We are always learning and should always be active in the pursuit of knowledge. With the sheer number of books written about education, any student can continue to strengthen their skills long after the diploma enters their hand. As for virtual professional training, I have very little, to no insight in that matter. I’m sure after graduation, I will tap into this new medium for education. I do like the concept like virtual professional learning. It allows experts from all across the planet to share strategies and tips with millions. In a sense, this tool could greatly improve the quality of teaching. I can see this being equally helpful for young, up and coming teachers, and experienced teachers looking to change things up.

Authentic Tasks for Students:  Here are a list of tools that you can use with students to write virtually.  Why is this important?  What are the benefits? The risks?  Tell me about your favorite discoveries.

Virtual writing, essentially, is a lot easier than writing by hand. Ideas flow from your brain down to the fingertips faster and with more ease than when written by hand. Part of this, I believe, is because it is much easier to edit virtual writing than handwritten work. A push of the backspace and no soul will ever know what was written before the font vanishes. Virtual writing is also easier for students because they are doing it constantly in their post school lives. Whether it’s Facebook, instagram or other, virtual writing overlaps with the students interests. As teachers, we should capitalize on that and try to merge the students interest with education. If successful, the benefits will be a more actively engage writing group. Students may be eager to get on the computer and blog about their favorite book. The potential risk of virtual writing is the ease of access to other, distracting sites. With a click, the students can go from being on task to goofing around YouTube. Perhaps my favorite site for virtual writing is Goodreads. I like it for two reasons. The first reason is that students get to share books with their peers. This opens up a whole literary world for students, who may not be aware of the vast number of books out there. Secondly, I enjoy this site because it allows students to articulate and review literature. Without a teacher present, a student can be honest about how they feel. Often in classrooms, students are not allowed to say “Kurt Vonnegut isn't funny” or “Moby Dick is boring.” On Goodreads, students can truly express their opinions.

What Lies Ahead?  Check out what is going on in the teacher-tech world.  Review Jane Hart’s Slideshare Top Tech Tools for Educators 2013 and see what teachers are using around the world.  What do you notice about the tools that educators are using?  Here is the link http://c4lpt.co.uk/top100tools/.

To me, Google docs is one of the greatest tools. Unlike Microsoft word, you can access any paper or document on any computer. I, like most, have forgotten a paper on the day it’s due. If every student used Google docs, that would never happen. The teacher can access the paper from his personal computer. The fact that Google docs is also free makes it all the better. Did I mention Google docs can also be used on smart phones? Need I say more? As previously mentioned, YouTube is more than just a site for watching people fall off trampolines. The educational applications available on YouTube are infinite. Whether it’s a clip from Discovery’s Planet Earth series or a Shakespeare play in its entirety, Shakespeare, YouTube's got your back.

Check out this digital tool version of Bloom’s Taxonomy.  Based on what you have done today and what you understand about Bloom’s Taxonomy, how does graphic help teacher’s make instructional decisions when integrating technology.

Like Bloom’s Taxonomy, technology should be taken in steps and no student should go forward without having basic needs met. While all teachers would love to start at the top of the pyramid (creativity), not all students are at that level. Teachers need to expose their students to the most basic levels of technology before they are able to advance.

Reflect: What tools do you already use?  What do you think you will try next?

Right now, what I use is pretty basic. As previously stated, I use Facebook, Google docs (and it’s powerpoint supplement), YouTube and gmail. When I have a classroom of my own, I think I’m going to try and use Goodreads. One of my college classes had us using Goodreads. While I was opposed to it initially, I ended up enjoying the critiquing process. Even when it was books I didn't like, it felt good to express why I thought Book A was awful. So that’s one thing I would like to try to implement in a classroom.

3 comments:

  1. John,

    I'll check out Goodreads sounds nifty. I'm gonna think that the video was a metaphor too, probably a safe bet. I like your points and you clearly do more stuff on the internet than look at pictures of Ryan Gosling and puppies...
    Back to instruction - what you said about Bloom's is true you cannot expect someone to be at the top of the pyramid without helping them climb the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,

    I loved how you listed great examples for using SKYPE. At my internship site, there is a students who has missed numerous days due to medical issues. When I mean numerous, I mean 2-3 days each week! Skype could definitely benefit this student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me it's more a metaphor about the fact that we are learning how to use the technology with students while we are using it with them...if that makes senses...flying the plane while building it...terrifying...will we lose our passengers? I do love Shelfari for the same reason you liked goodreads---both valuable sites that integrate reading and writing purposefully. Google Drive...formerly known as Docs is the tool that I first teach my freshman..it is a way to never lose a pin drive or file...

    ReplyDelete